Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Accepting Your Wonderful Self

Acceptance.

I'll say it again. Acceptance. I won't be cliche and give you the Oxford dictionary definition. Acceptance is what it is; being ok with something/someone. It's really just that simple. So why is it the hardest thing to grasp?

People go into therapy for ages trying to find acceptance. They don't like the way they look. They don't like the way they act, they don't like themselves and can't get over it. I can't get over it sometimes either. You look at yourself in the mirror and think: "God in Heaven, what the hell is going on with me right now!" And then you scream and cut off all your hair and run naked in the streets shouting "Liberation NOW!!"

...well maybe not, but you get the idea. Acceptance is hard. It's hard, because it's hard to be ok with ourselves and/or our situations. It's hard because we want something else. We want to be prettier. We want to be sexier. We want to know more, have more experience, have a better house, a better job, a better life. We want better. I want better. I'll admit it. I want a lot more than I have right now. I wish I were more wonderful than I already am (greedy, yes...). It's normal to want better.

What separates the normal from the wonderful, is acceptance. Sorry. Accepting the person you see in the mirror is half the battle. You can't do better than who you already are. Who you are is blissful, happy, unique, great, and magnificent. Who you are is totally you. And once you know that, you won't need to go G.I. Jane and slightly paranoid in the streets to prove a point. That peace will already be there in that little place between your heart and your chest. The situation you're in, that's something you have the power to change.

Super power of acceptance...it's an uphill battle, but I'm getting there, a little bit everyday. I'm a wonder woman, not a saint. Don't expect any radical life altering swings in me just yet. But do expect a sprinkle of contentment. Because that's all I ever really want.

Smiling, WW

No comments:

Post a Comment